Posted on | January 3, 2012 | 22 Comments
The rented Mustang convertible I got for the price of a Toyota
Just got back from the Stony Creek Inn, across the highway from my hotel, where they’re setting up for tonight’s big victory celebration for Rick Santorum. Just so you know: Election Night events are always billed in advance as “victory” parties, because nobody wants to send out invitations to a “Hey, We Might Finish Second” party.
If Santorum finishes third here – let’s say, 19% – that’s a huge victory for a campaign that was in single digits in all the polls two weeks ago. And by finishing third, Santorum would place ahead of three candidates (Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann) who have out-spent him many times over.
If Santorum finishes second — say, 22% — that would be enormous, since it would indicate he’s out-organized the fanatical supporters of Ron Paul.
And if . . .
We’re not even going to go there, OK? I’m ruling out any such possibility. Everybody knows Mitt Romney is going to win this thing, even though he’ll win it with less than 30% of the vote. But if somehow the impossible happens, all bets are off.
When I arrived at the Stony Creek Inn, Senator Santorum and his family were on their way out to visit Des Moines Christian School for one of their final pre-caucus appearances. He was cheerful, but obviously weary from the grueling pace of this all-out campaign blitz of the past two weeks. I’m amazed at his stamina. This is wearing me out, and I’m just blogging about the campaign.
Some quick news before I lay down for my nap:
- Rick Santorum’s nephew is a Ron Paul supporter. As I said on Twitter, if Santorum is Michael Corleone, his nephew is Fredo. Or maybe even Carlo. IYKWIMAITYD.
- Speaking of Twitter, Senator Santorum’s daughter Elizabeth is on Twitter and you should follow her, because she re-Tweeted me, which is almost as cool as getting re-Tweeted by Alyssa Milano.
- Da Tech Guy: “The first day that actually counts in Iowa.”
- Michele Bachmann gets a suggestion from Sarah Palin, and not one she’s likely to appreciate.
- Bill Quick at Daily Pundt praises my Neutral Objective Journalism
- Rick Santorum is praised by David Brooks? Tough break, Rick. You don’t want to be the “David Brooks Republican.” We demand that you repudiate Brooksism!
- Maggie’s Notebook has some important thoughts from Tulsa Pastor Donald O’Neil Tyler.
- Bob Belvedere at The Camp Of The Saints is ready for the apocalyptic year of 2012.
- Nice Deb suggests the possibility of the impossible, which is the kind of hope I’ve sworn to avoid. If it happens, I’ll be surprised, but I’m not going to hope for it.
- Lisa Graas writes about “Rick Santorum’s Plan to Shrink Big Government.”
Anyway, that’s enough to do you for a few hours. Like Rick Santorum’s final surge here in Iowa, my expenses on this trip have exceeded expectations. So reader contributions to the Shoe Leather Fund are, as always sincerely appreciated.
They’re setting up a big party over at the Stony Creek Inn and, because of limited space, the press filing center will actually be in the hotel bar, which is called “The Loose Moose.”
That seems somehow ironically appropriate, doesn’t it?
- Jan. 3: Desperate Hours in the Hawkeye State
- Jan. 3: Remember the Crying Girl?
- Jan. 2: Santorum, Duggars, And Fundraising As The Deadline Looms
- Jan. 2: Media Scrum Is Heavy At Santorum Event
- Jan. 2: Santorum Attacked in Iowa With Same Smear Used Earlier Against Gingrich
- Jan. 2: The Familiar Pattern Emerges Again
- Jan. 1: Don’t Underestimate Rick Santorum’s Campaign Strength in New Hampshire
- Jan. 1: Rick Santorum Talks Steelers Football
- Jan. 1: SANTORUM SURGE SUNDAY: Final Poll Makes Front-Page News in Des Moines
- Dec. 31: ‘Occupy’ Protesters at Bachmann HQ: Proof That Gardasil Causes Retardation?
- Dec. 31: Michele Bachmann Flyer Omits Comparison to Records of Santorum, Paul
- Dec. 31: Perry Campaign’s Amateur Hour
- Dec. 30: ‘Quite a Difference!’
- Dec. 30: Guess Who’s Gonna Be Watching Hawkeye Football Tonight With Rick Santorum?
- Dec. 30: New Polls Confirm Santorum Surge in Iowa; Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry Fading
- Dec. 30: Rick Santorum to Ann Coulter: ‘I Mean, Ann, Should I Have Voted for Amnesty?’
- Dec. 29: IOWA NOTEBOOK: Occupy Caucuses?
- Dec. 29: ‘Everyone Sells Out in Iowa’
- Dec. 29: Rick Santorum Gets ‘The Kind of Optics a Cash-Strapped Candidate Can’t Buy’
- Dec. 28: SANTORUM SURGE: Finally, the Polls in Iowa Are Catching Up With … Me
- Dec. 28: Greetings From the Quad City
- Dec. 28: When the Story Writes Itself
- Dec. 27: The Santorum Surge: Mainstream Media Finally Beginning to See Omens in Iowa
- Dec. 27: Republicans With Shotguns
- Dec. 26: Santorum Gets 4 ‘Clean Kills’ in Pheasant Hunt With Steve King; No Endorsement
- Dec. 26: Greetings From Iowa
- Dec. 26: Fear and Loathing at BWI
- Dec. 25: Memo From the National Affairs Desk: How’s the Weather Today in Vanuatu?