Posted on | January 4, 2012 | 35 Comments
DES MOINES, Iowa
Today I checked out of the hotel near Santorum HQ in Johnston and drove down toward the Des Moines International Airport where I checked into a cheap motel. Then I went to Taco John’s and got four tacos, a burrito, chips and salsa. On the way back to the motel, I stopped into a convenience store and got a 40-ounce Budweiser. Dropped that off at the motel, then drove over to the airport and returned the Mustang.
God, I’m gonna miss that car.
And I’m gonna miss Iowa, too. All the pundits who badmouth the Iowa caucuses have no idea how much fun it is to take a 40-mph curve doing 80 in a Mustang, while running late for a candidate event in some small town out on the prairie. I don’t know what these pundits do for amusement, but they’ve never done anything as fun as making that run from Montezuma to Pella in a sweet black Ford Mustang convertible.
(Aside: Do they have car rental agencies in Vanuatu? And do those agencies have any Mustang convertibles on the lot? What’s the daily rate? Someone should investigate this.)
On my way to the airport, I called Richard McEnroe of Three Beers Later to thank him for the linkage. And after returning the Mustang to the rental agency, I called Jimmie Bise of the Sundries Shack because I needed a shoulder to cry on.
Traumatic Post-Mustang Syndrome (TPMS) is a serious problem, and Jimmie understood that. He also understood that I need to chill out and rest up before I fly out of here in the pre-dawn hours Thursday morning.
Pete Da Tech Guy will pick me up at Logan Airport in Boston when I arrive about 11 a.m., and we’re driving straight from the airport to New Hampshire, where we’ll catch up with the Rick Santorum campaign. At this point, my brain is so weary from sleep deprivation (to say nothing of TPMS) that I probably don’t need to be blogging because — in this state of mental and physical exhaustion — I might write something completely irresponsible, like calling Erick Erickson a clueless douchebag.
And we wouldn’t want that to happen, would we?
So I’ve already finished the chips and salsa, and now it’s time to get to work on the four tacos, the burrito and that 40-ounce bottle of beer, then sleep about 10 hours. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the Shoe Leather Fund to get me this far and — if you’re feeling a sudden urge to hit the tip jar — hey, don’t fight the feeling.
- Jan. 4: Bachmann Quits 2012 Campaign
- Jan. 4: News Of Rick Santorum’s Iowa Triumph Reaches A Certain Bunker. . .
- Jan. 3: IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS HQ UPDATE: Santorum Surge in Precinct Numbers Exceeds Poll Projections
- Jan. 3: Pre-Caucus Night Nap Time
- Jan. 3: Desperate Hours in the Hawkeye State
- Jan. 3: Remember the Crying Girl?
- Jan. 2: Santorum, Duggars, And Fundraising As The Deadline Looms
- Jan. 2: Media Scrum Is Heavy At Santorum Event
- Jan. 2: Santorum Attacked in Iowa With Same Smear Used Earlier Against Gingrich
- Jan. 2: The Familiar Pattern Emerges Again
- Jan. 1: Don’t Underestimate Rick Santorum’s Campaign Strength in New Hampshire
- Jan. 1: Rick Santorum Talks Steelers Football
- Jan. 1: SANTORUM SURGE SUNDAY: Final Poll Makes Front-Page News in Des Moines
- Dec. 31: ‘Occupy’ Protesters at Bachmann HQ: Proof That Gardasil Causes Retardation?
- Dec. 31: Michele Bachmann Flyer Omits Comparison to Records of Santorum, Paul
- Dec. 31: Perry Campaign’s Amateur Hour
- Dec. 30: ‘Quite a Difference!’
- Dec. 30: Guess Who’s Gonna Be Watching Hawkeye Football Tonight With Rick Santorum?
- Dec. 30: New Polls Confirm Santorum Surge in Iowa; Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry Fading
- Dec. 30: Rick Santorum to Ann Coulter: ‘I Mean, Ann, Should I Have Voted for Amnesty?’
- Dec. 29: IOWA NOTEBOOK: Occupy Caucuses?
- Dec. 29: ‘Everyone Sells Out in Iowa’
- Dec. 29: Rick Santorum Gets ‘The Kind of Optics a Cash-Strapped Candidate Can’t Buy’
- Dec. 28: SANTORUM SURGE: Finally, the Polls in Iowa Are Catching Up With … Me
- Dec. 28: Greetings From the Quad City
- Dec. 28: When the Story Writes Itself
- Dec. 27: The Santorum Surge: Mainstream Media Finally Beginning to See Omens in Iowa
- Dec. 27: Republicans With Shotguns
- Dec. 26: Santorum Gets 4 ‘Clean Kills’ in Pheasant Hunt With Steve King; No Endorsement
- Dec. 26: Greetings From Iowa
- Dec. 26: Fear and Loathing at BWI
- Dec. 25: Memo From the National Affairs Desk: How’s the Weather Today in Vanuatu?