The Other McCain

"One should either write ruthlessly what one believes to be the truth, or else shut up." — Arthur Koestler

In the Mailbox, 01.29.15

Posted on | January 29, 2015 | 12 Comments

— compiled by Wombat-socho


OVER THE TRANSOM
EBL: Epstein’s Fantasy Island
Proof Positive: President Obama’s Credibility Takes A Dive
First Street Journal: The Pennsylvania AG’s Office Is Vacant In Everything But Name
Louder With Crowder: Chilling Interview With Imam Anjem Choudhury
Jerry Pournelle: Abolish The Air Force, And Other Stories


RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES
American Power: Reaction To Jonathan Chait’s Essay On Political Correctness Proves His Thesis Correct
American Thinker: The Elites Bow To Mecca
BLACKFIVE: Hosting Secure Freedom Radio And Talking Iran
Conservatives4Palin: Amazing America To Feature the Motor City Madman
Don Surber: Is Scott Walker The Democratic Nightmare? GOOD.
Jammie Wearing Fools: Deranged Lefties Want Boehner Tried For Treason For Inviting Netanyahu To Speak To Congress
Joe For America: White House Pressuring Army To Let Bergdahl Go Free
JustOneMinute: Too Dumb Even For Environmentalists
Pamela Geller: Sharia Tribunal In Texas – This Is How It Starts
Protein Wisdom: Trigger Warning – “I’ve Already Seen The Bulge…”
Shot In the Dark: Trulbert! Part XXVI – Darkness Before The Damned
STUMP: Are Public Pensions Actually In Crisis? Or Is It “Just Math”?
The Gateway Pundit: Race Hoax Exposed – Cop Who Detained NYT Columnist’s Son Was Also Black
The Jawa Report: Blog Sabbath On A Wednesday – IStoned Edition
The Lonely Conservative: Seattle Residents To Be Fined For Throwing Out Too Much Food
This Ain’t Hell: Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) Introduces Legislation To Half-Ass The War Against ISIS
Weasel Zipper: NOW Feminazi Mocks Joni Ernst By Wearing Bags On Her Feet
Megan McArdle: Moral Panics Won’t End College Rape
Mark Steyn: Education As Child Abuse


Administrivia: Live At Five will be on hiatus until the site’s scheduling software gets fixed. I’m tired of staying up until all hours and setting posts to go off at 5 AM only to not have them post until 2 PM after I’ve poked them.


Shop Amazon – Get Up, Get Out with Select Outdoor Clothing

Comments

  • Daniel Freeman

    Re: “Moral Panics Won’t End College Rape”

    As you may know, I have a complicated relationship with Megan McArdle’s articles, because she’s so smart and I agree with 99% and then bam! Stumble over the other 1% and ouch.

    I love her pointing this out about a Phi Kappa Psi interview:

    The most striking moment for me: when the fraternity brothers say they knew within 24 hours that the Rolling Stone story was false — provably false, because their internal records and bank statements showed no party on the weekend in question, and no brothers matched the description of the alleged rapist. Yet the brothers kept quiet because they thought that fighting the story in the news media “would only make things more difficult.”

    It really makes her case about there being moral panic. The other 1%? She missed a golden opportunity to mention kafkatrapping. It’s like how to lie with statistics: the people that would do it are going to learn how regardless; the more that understand the techniques, the better our defenses.

  • Wombat_socho

    It’s possible she may not be familiar with the term.

  • Adobe_Walls

    Her problem is naivete. She insists on giving the benefit of the doubt to people about whom one should have no doubts.

  • http://proof-proofpositive.blogspot.com/ Proof

    The Jerry Pournelle piece linked above was pretty cool, but then, I’ve been a big fan of his for years.

  • Wombat_socho

    Me, too. I think I have everything he’s written except for Red Heroin and Red Dragon.

  • http://proof-proofpositive.blogspot.com/ Proof

    You have the anthologies, too? “There Will be War”

  • Wombat_socho

    Most of them. My problem is that almost all my books are in storage, and not all of them are catalogued in LibraryThing, so I’m not sure any more what I have in the library…

  • http://proof-proofpositive.blogspot.com/ Proof

    I hear you. I’ve moved around so much in the last decade or two, I only have a fraction of my books unpacked.

  • Pingback: NOW Mocks Joni Ernst ‘Bread-bag Shoes’ | Regular Right Guy()

  • Daniel Freeman

    You might ask, “Why does Daniel upvote comments and then immediately disagree with them?” The answer is that I’m an amateur philosopher.

    On the surface, it would appear that the purpose of voting is to signal agreement. In practice, it encourages more of the behavior condoned. So, I vote to encourage behavior that I want more of — such as saying interesting things — whether or not I agree with it.

    Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

  • Pingback: Biden: The Hard Six | Regular Right Guy()

  • Pingback: Sorta Blogless Patriotic Pinup » Pirate's Cove()