Posted on | July 12, 2011 | 45 Comments
A political limbo dance: How low can he go?
President Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3 if Democrats and Republicans in Washington do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks.
Doug Powers: “Hopefully Social Security recipients are familiar with chess, because they’re now officially pawns in the president’s debt ceiling game.”
UPDATE: Who can we count on to spin it exactly the way Democrats want to spin it? Alan Colmes:
Read that headline carefully and ask yourself, what’s missing? Democrats.
Democrats are insisting that there can be no budget deal unless the deal includes tax increases. Yet Obama and the Democrats want to spin this (as Colmes obligingly does) as a story about Republican intransigence.
It is Republicans, they want you to believe, who are imperiling Granny’s pension check, because Republicans “won’t agree to a deal.” And in their coverage of this negotiation, it is vitally important to the liberal media that Granny never be encouraged to ask herself one question: “Why are Democrats insisting on a tax increase?”
UPDATE II: Don Surber has the budget facts. The facts are not friendly to Obama and Democrats, which is why they’re lying.
That Mr. G Guy: “Well, at least he isn’t trying to use our troops as hostages again.” Not today. Maybe tomorrow. Be patient and enjoy the show. I’m sure Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) have got this kabuki dance choreographed all the way to the end.
UPDATE III: Michelle Malkin has a “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot” reaction to Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell’s offer of pre-emptive Republican surrender.
UPDATE IV: The all-purpose punchline of an era: “They told me if I voted for John McCain . . . the President would stop paying social security to our most vulnerable elderly and disabled Americans — and they were right!”
UPDATE VI: Linked by The Lonely Conservative — thanks!
- July 11: Will Althouse Praise ‘His Steely Nerve, His Intelligence, and His Groundedness’?
- July 8: MoveOn.org Threatens Obama: ‘I Won’t Ever Give His Campaign Another Dime’
- July 7: Obama: ‘Hey, Grandma, There’s Still Room for You Under This Bus!’
- July 3: John Cornyn Endorses Obama on Taxes
- July 2: Why Doesn’t Obama Come Right Out and Say, ‘Democrats Want to Raise Taxes’?
- July 1: Old and Busted: Sippin’ Slurpees; New and Hot: Corporate Jets
- June 30: Obama Must Be Defeated
- June 27: ‘Revenue Raises’? ‘Closing Loopholes’? Democrat Want to RAISE TAXES!