Posted on | December 12, 2011 | 17 Comments
. . . on Dec. 26, the day after Christmas, I’m flying to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to begin my coverage of the campaign leading up to the Jan. 3 caucuses. I’ve already booked my flight ($275) to Cedar Rapids as well as my Jan. 5 flight from Des Moines to Boston ($205) to cover the New Hampshire primary campaign.
It’s been a month since my last road trip — to Spartanburg, S.C., to cover the Nov. 12 CBS debate — and what followed in the next three weeks was the final derailment of the Cain Train, leading up to his Dec. 3 decision to “suspend” his campaign.
So all the resting up I’d planned to do before the Iowa trip kind of went by the wayside for a while there. Now I’m starting to get the “itch” again, and there’s lots happening out on the campaign trail:
- Michael Savage has offered Newt Gingrich $1 million to drop out of the race. Is this a publicity stunt? Sure, but this campaign has been so crazy, you never know what’s going to happen next.
- Glenn Beck says he would vote for Ron Paul on a third-party ticket as an alternative to Newt. Is this a publicity stunt? No. Beck’s psychotic.
- Newt has taken a pledge not to commit adultery — the rest of us folks call such a pledge “marriage vows.”
- Mitt Romney got hassled in New Hampshire about gay marriage. Mitt is firmly against gay marriage on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, but is enthusiastically in favor of gay marriage on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Ace of Spades: “I am really worried that Newt Gingrich actually has wildly divergent opinions on things depending on the hour of the day.”
- Santorum Defends Trump Debate, Blasts Critics. He cites a list of influential conservatives — including Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform and Al Cardenas of the American Conservative Union — who have urged Republicans to participate in the Dec. 27 debate in Des Moines.
I’m trying to figure out who to contact for media credentials for the Trump debate, which should be fun.
Thanks to all the readers who have already contributed for the Iowa trip, and as for the rest of you — hit the freaking tip jar!