Posted on | December 2, 2012 | 16 Comments
Most people underestimate the human capacity for evil, but it’s everywhere and claims new victims daily. A few examples from the past week:
- A 49-year-old man in Newburgh, N.Y., was charged Thursday with rape, unlawful imprisonment and criminal possession of marijuana after police say he attacked a 16-year-old girl who had gone to his apartment to buy drugs.
- A 48-year-old man in Volusia County, Fla., was sentenced Thursday to 30 years in prison, after he was convicted of two counts of sexual battery. Police say he lured a 13-year-old girl to a motel where he videotaped her having sex with him. He is awaiting trial on separate charges involving the victim’s stepsister.
- In Newark, Ohio, 31-year-old David Hill was sentenced Thursday to 12 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to “raping a young girl ‘too many times to count’ over several years.” Hill’s crimes began in March 2009 and continued until 2011, after the girl turned 13.
- In Texas, 20-year-old Jared Cruse was sentenced Wednesday to life without parole for his part in the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl. Police in Jefferson County say 20 men participated in the crime, which they recorded on video.
- A 47-year-old registered sex offender in Albuquerque, N.M., was charged Saturday with raping an 11-year-old girl whose family had been visiting his home after the girl’s birthday party.
- In Prince William County, Va., Aaron Thomas, 41, pleaded guilty Friday to abducting three teenage girls and raping two of them. Thomas is believed to be the “East Coast Rapist,” and police say he is a suspect in 17 different rapes.
- In Bentonville, Ark., 28-year-old Zachary Holly was charged Nov. 26 with the rape and murder of 6-year-old Jersey Bridgeman. The girl disappeared from her home Nov. 20. Authorities say evidence shows the girl was suffocated and sexually assaulted.
That’s just one week. Evil keeps busy all year long.