Posted on | June 3, 2014 | 63 Comments
UPDATE 10:40 p.m. CDT: Now with 93% of precincts reporting, McDaniel’s lead is 3,086 votes. He is at 49.7% of the vote, Cochran at 48.7%. If necessary, a runoff would be June 24.
UPDATE 10:10 p.m. CDT: With 89% of precincts reporting, McDaniel’s lead is about 3,500 votes.
UPDATE 9:40 p.m. CDT: With 77% of precincts reporting, McDaniel leads, 49.6% to 48.8% for Cochran.
* * * PREVIOUSLY (6:57 ET) * * *
The Convention Center here is the site of the Chris McDaniel victory party. Of course, election night events are always called a “victory party” in advance, even though you don’t know who will win the election until the votes are counted. Polls close at 7 p.m. CDT (8 Eastern) and we expect the vote to be extremely close, so it could be a long, long night. Here is some expert commentary:
Of course, I’m much better-looking in person. I’ll be updating regularly tonight as the vote totals come in. Stay tuned.
— Ali A. Akbar (@ali) June 3, 2014
UPDATE 7:15 p.m. CDT: Polls have been closed for 15 minutes and, with 0% of precincts reporting, it’s McDaniel 0%, Cochran 0%.
— Robert Stacy McCain (@rsmccain) June 3, 2014
UPDATE 8 p.m. CDT: Country singer Eric Welford is entertaining the crowd here. Meanwhile, with 3.4% of precincts reporting, it’s Cochran 52%, McDaniel 47%.
Mississippi ranks dead last in speed of vote-counting?
— Robert Stacy McCain (@rsmccain) June 4, 2014
— Alex Boyle (@ssseaboq) June 4, 2014
I’m sitting next to The Atlantic‘s Molly Ball, who’s got a nice article about the pathetic fate of Thad Cochran.
- May 26: ROAD TRIP!
- May 27: Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Will Speak at Republican Leadership Conference
- May 28: #RLC2014 Ready to Rock
- May 29: #RLC2014 Cooking With Gas!
- May 30: #RLC2014 N’Awlins, Y’all
- June 1: Craig McCulloch Is the Real Deal
- June 1: Mississippi Update: Chris McDaniel Campaign Fights GOP Establishment
- June 2: Can Chris McDaniel Close the Deal?
- June 3: ‘Like a Plot Twist in a Faulkner Novel’