Posted on | August 31, 2012 | 25 Comments
The National Affairs Desk, McDonald’s in Ocala, 10 p.m., Friday, Aug. 31, 2012
Ah, the ups and downs of life. Last night I was enjoying the hospitality in a skybox suite at the Republican National Convention. Tonight I’m wondering how I’ll make it home.
Ali and I left Tampa about 6 p.m., and everything seemed fine until the car started making a horrible noise and losing power. We stopped and had a mechanic look at it, but the garage was about to close — 7 p.m. on the Friday before Labor Day — and there was no time for a repair. The mechanic diagnosed a problem either with the timing belt or the valves.
Can we drive it 900 miles with this problem? The mechanic shrugged. Sometimes, it’s OK. Sometimes, it’s not.
Ali said, “Let’s go. We can make it.”
Misery. Horror. Stress. Driving a car that’s obviously if need of expensive repairs, hundreds of miles from home, bone-tired after five days of convention coverage — and yeah, the bank balance isn’t looking too good, either.
I called my wife, cussing about this unexpected misfortune.
Mrs. Other McCain suggested I stop cussing and start praying.
Good advice. I called Smitty. He was boarding a plane, preparing to travel to Germany with his wife and the World’s Youngest Blogger for a visit with his German in-laws. While we drove north up I-75, I called Zilla of the Resistance, and she was kind enough to put up a post asking for prayers and, of course, the Five Most Important Words in the English Language: Hit the freaking tip jar.
We’ve so far made it about 100 miles, but the psychological strain on top of the exhaustion — as I said to Ali, “Woodward and Bernstein didn’t have to deal with this kind of crap.” Neither, for that matter, do my close personal friends Brett Baier and Megyn Kelly, but never mind . . .
We’ll drive another hundred miles or so tonight and then find a motel. Your prayers are most earnestly requested. And your contributions to the Shoe Leather Fund are most sincerely appreciated.
- Aug. 24:Tampa, Here I Come
- Aug. 24: Todd Akin Rapes Missouri GOP
- Aug. 25: Memo From the National Affairs Desk: Fear, Loathing and Deficient Hygiene
- Aug. 25: Monday GOP Convention Schedule Postponed Due to Anticipated BlogBash Hangovers and Approaching Hurricane …
- Aug. 26: First Arrest of RNC Protesters Reported
- Aug. 26: Ybor City Scenes
- Aug. 27: Journalism as Masochism
- Aug. 27: Health Care Expert: ObamaCare Will Kill Estimated 40,000 Seniors Every Year
- Aug. 28: RNC DAY 1.5: Baseless Speculation UPDATE: Romney Officially Nominated as Republican Presidential Candidate
- Aug. 28: COMPLETE TEXT: ANN ROMNEY SPEECH TO GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 28: COMPLETE TEXT: CHRIS CHRISTIE SPEECH TO GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 29: RNC Rule 5 With Ann Romney and Other Smokin’ Hot Republican Party Babes
- Aug. 29: @DavidChalian Got Breitbarted UPDATE: Video Interview With ‘Hating Breitbart’ Director Andrew Marcus
- Aug. 29: COMPLETE TEXT: ROB PORTMAN’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 29: COMPLETE TEXT: PAUL RYAN’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 30: DNC Executive Director Begs for $3 Donations to Fight GOP ‘False Attack’
- Aug. 30: ‘No, Really. I Mean That.’
- Aug. 30: When It Comes to ‘Brazen Lies,’ Nobody Excels Joan Walsh
- Aug. 30: VIDEO: Paul Ryan’s Convention Speech That Inspired Democrat Media Panic
- Aug. 30: Gee, Chris Matthews Hates Paul Ryan
- Aug. 30: Pictures, or It Didn’t Happen
- Aug. 30: While You Wait for Mitt Romney, Say Hello to ‘The Scott Brown of Connecticut’
- Aug. 30: COMPLETE TEXT: MARCO RUBIO’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 30: COMPLETE TEXT: MITT ROMNEY’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 31: RNC Hangover: You Gotta Believe
- Aug. 31: How Awesome Was Clint Eastwood?