Posted on | September 3, 2012 | 34 Comments
My friend Jerry Wilson at Goldfish and Clowns seems to have taken personally my failure to respond to his writings, and that’s OK.
Neglectfulness is a problem with me and when I’m on the road, the problem is compounded. In case you didn’t notice, I spent the past week in Tampa at the Republican National Convention and, given that tip-jar hitters had paid my way there, I felt obliged to provide extensive coverage of the journey:
- Aug. 24:Tampa, Here I Come
- Aug. 24: Todd Akin Rapes Missouri GOP
- Aug. 25: Memo From the National Affairs Desk: Fear, Loathing and Deficient Hygiene
- Aug. 25: Monday GOP Convention Schedule Postponed Due to Anticipated BlogBash Hangovers and Approaching Hurricane …
- Aug. 26: First Arrest of RNC Protesters Reported
- Aug. 26: Ybor City Scenes
- Aug. 27: Journalism as Masochism
- Aug. 27: Health Care Expert: ObamaCare Will Kill Estimated 40,000 Seniors Every Year
- Aug. 28: RNC DAY 1.5: Baseless Speculation UPDATE: Romney Officially Nominated as Republican Presidential Candidate
- Aug. 28: COMPLETE TEXT: ANN ROMNEY SPEECH TO GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 28: COMPLETE TEXT: CHRIS CHRISTIE SPEECH TO GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 29: RNC Rule 5 With Ann Romney and Other Smokin’ Hot Republican Party Babes
- Aug. 29: @DavidChalian Got Breitbarted UPDATE: Video Interview With ‘Hating Breitbart’ Director Andrew Marcus
- Aug. 29: COMPLETE TEXT: ROB PORTMAN’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 29: COMPLETE TEXT: PAUL RYAN’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 30: DNC Executive Director Begs for $3 Donations to Fight GOP ‘False Attack’
- Aug. 30: ‘No, Really. I Mean That.’
- Aug. 30: When It Comes to ‘Brazen Lies,’ Nobody Excels Joan Walsh
- Aug. 30: VIDEO: Paul Ryan’s Convention Speech That Inspired Democrat Media Panic
- Aug. 30: Gee, Chris Matthews Hates Paul Ryan
- Aug. 30: Pictures, or It Didn’t Happen
- Aug. 30: While You Wait for Mitt Romney, Say Hello to ‘The Scott Brown of Connecticut’
- Aug. 30: COMPLETE TEXT: MARCO RUBIO’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 30: COMPLETE TEXT: MITT ROMNEY’S SPEECH TO THE GOP CONVENTION
- Aug. 31: RNC Hangover: You Gotta Believe
- Aug. 31: How Awesome Was Clint Eastwood?
- Aug. 31: Fear and Loathing in a 2004 KIA Optima
- Sept. 1: Thank You, Everybody! (And Thank God)
This blog coverage was in addition to the five American Spectator columns I filed from Tampa:
- Aug. 27: Storm Surge
- Aug. 28: The Exact Opposite of Truth
- Aug. 29: Off to a Strong Start
- Aug. 30: ‘Breitbart’ as a Verb
- Aug. 31: Exceptional
All in all, I considered it a successful trip, and if the ordeals of the journey — including the engine problem that will require hundreds of dollars to repair – have distracted me even more than I am usually distracted, this was no one’s fault in particular.
Among the successes of the trip: I introduced Ali Akbar to the Allman Brothers. He really digs “One Way Out,” which is now downloaded to his iPhone. It’s hard to believe that anyone could reach age 27 and never have heard At the Fillmore East, but this just goes to show the catastrophic failures of the American public education system.
At any rate, my own failures – extensive though they are — do not include an inability to judge character, and my defense of Ali Akbar is based on an acquaintance that dates back to October 2009 during the Doug Hoffman campaign in NY-23. So Jerry Wilson’s ”just asking questions” attitude toward Ali is rather annoying: I’ve known the guy for three years and, whatever his faults, this “convicted felon Ali Akbar” meme is a ridiculous distraction.
The dude’s got skills, OK?
We’re in the midst of a political battle of enormous consequence and, as I’ve said repeatedly in conversations with friends, now is not the time to be distracted by irrelevant personal quarrels, especially quarrels instigated by Neal Rauhauser, Ron Brynaert, et al. Whatever legitimate beefs anyone may have with Ali, these can be settled after Nov. 6, and I don’t give a damn. But I have no patience for criticism of Ali based on partial information at a time when I know for a fact — I’ve seen with my own eyes — that Ali is doing effective work for the cause of liberty.
So to Jerry Wilson or anyone else who thinks they’re going to throw Ali Akbar under the bus, I say, your bus ain’t big enough.
As Ace of Spades often says during election season: “Game faces.”
Stop letting yourself be distracted at a time when we can ill afford these distractions. Concentrate on the big picture, and trust that everything else will take care of itself.