EXCLUSIVE: Kimberlin Associate Neal Rauhauser Accuses Brandon Darby of Fake SWAT Calls, ‘Obstruction of Justice’
Posted on | August 6, 2012 | 44 Comments
A Democrat political consultant with ties to convicted terrorist Brett Kimberlin has accused Breitbart.com contributor Brandon Darby of making fake SWAT calls against conservative bloggers.
In a thousand-word document sent to government officials, Kimberlin associate Neal Rauhauser accuses Darby of conspiring with a number of others — including employees of Republican consulting firm Hynes Communications — in an elaborate criminal scheme involving illegal so-called “SWATting” incidents aimed at four conservative bloggers: Mike Stack, Patrick “Patterico” Frey, Erick Erickson of Red State and Aaron Walker. The document (see full text below) describes Rauhauser’s accusations that the SWATting calls are “tied to an extortion attempt by Mike Grimm, Congressman from NY-13, an obstruction of justice attempt intended to deflect attention from James O’Keefe, and the whole thing is being wrapped up by Hynes Communications in an attempt to create another ‘Bill Ayers’ for the 2012 election.”
Furthermore, Rauhauser forwarded to an associate of Darby copies of e-mails he sent to a Republican member of Congress. In the e-mails he sent to the office of Rep. Sandy Adams (R-Fla.) in June and July, Rauhauser charges that Darby and others were engaged in a “conspiracy to obstruct justice.” The full text of those e-mails is also appended below.
Darby has previously said he intends to sue Rauhauser, and called the accusations “absurd,” and said that Rauhauser sent these materials to a woman named in a Townhall magazine article Darby recently published. Darby said in a brief phone interview that shows Rauhauser’s attempts to “social engineer” people through defamatory communications.
Rauhauser’s accusations against Frey, a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney, are part of a pattern dating back to July 2011. Frey had written about the sex scandal that resulted in Democrat Rep. Anthony Weiner’s resignation from Congress. Rauhauser was obsessed with that scandal, and wrote a series of post at the liberal Daily Kos blog accusing Frey of being the mastermind of an elaborate conspiracy against Weiner.
Frey has written that he suspects Rauhauser, along with Kimberlin and former Raw Story editor Ron Brynaert, of complicity in the SWATing call made against Frey in July 2011. Frey says that a voice analysis expert has identified Brynaert as having made the false call that sent armed officers to Frey’s house.
Congresswoman Adams is one of 87 members of Congress, along with Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss, who have urged the Justice Department to investigate the use of “SWATting” and other illegal harassment against political bloggers.
Kimberlin was convicted in 1981 of a weeklong bombing spree that terrorized an Indiana town and sentenced to 50 years in prison. After his release from federal prison in 2001, Kimberlin helped co-found two tax-exempt progressive non-profit groups, the Justice Through Music Project and the Velvet Revolution. Kimberlin has pursued legal charges against bloggers who wrote about his criminal past, accusing them of “harassment.” Rauhauser has worked as a political consultant for a number of Democratic candidates. Rauhauser has described Kimberlin as his “client” and has accompanied Kimberlin to numerous courtroom hearings.
* * * * *
* * TEXT OF RAUHAUSER DOCUMENT * *
Brandon Darby Swatting Calls
There are four false police reports I find particularly interesting, because they seem to be tied to an extortion attempt by Mike Grimm, Congressman from NY-13, an obstruction of justice attempt intended to deflect attention from James O’Keefe, and the whole thing is being wrapped up by Hynes Communications in an attempt to create another “Bill Ayers” for the 2012 election.
Mike Stack – Montgomery Township, June 23rd 2011:
Stack was used to push the message that a New York Democrat was going to have a sex scandal starting around the beginning of May 2011 and he was left holding the bag for what happened to Anthony Weiner. He was a liability after Weiner’s June 16th resignation, particularly since the news came out June 18th that the “teen girls” Weiner had been talking to were entirely fabricated. The false report seems calculated to shut him up.
A false report was made and the voice of the source seems to be Brandon Darby. This YouTube video is a composite of three false report calls and interview audio of Darby.
[EMBEDDED YOUTUBE VIDEO]
The underlying motivation for the Weiner stalk/smear is his reporting of Grimm’s extortion attempt in the fall of 2010.
John Patrick Frey – Los Angeles, June 30th/July 1st 2011:
Frey engaged former Raw Story editor Ron Brynaert in a call that straddled the midnight hour June 30/July 1. During this time there was an alleged false report made on him, again the voice is Brandon Darby. Frey banned Lee Stranahan from his blog, patterico.com, within about 36 hours. It should be noted that Darby and Stranahan own http://darbystranahan.com. Frey has been a vocal defender of James O’Keefe.
The best source for picking this apart is Lane Lipton aka @qritiq. She’s dug deeper into the details of the event’s timeline, Frey’s shifting, implausible explanations, and his use of an audio forensics expert to try to pin it all on Brynaert.
My read is that Darby and Stranahan did this on their own initiative, Frey was furious about it, but that he realized he was in deep and attempted to help with the cleanup by shifting the blame to Brynaert. Ron can’t make a false report call to save his life – he had a mental breakdown in the fall of 2010 and is incapable of remaining lucid during phone calls – I spoke to him once, and it was 30 seconds of me trying to answer questions and five minutes of him yelling at me.
Erick Erickson – somewhere in Georgia, May 27th 2012:
Erickson wrote about swatting, motivated by a conflict between Brett Kimberlin and Robert Stacy McCain. He also happened to contact his local sheriff’s department and warn them that such a thing was likely. A false report call, again the voice of Brandon Darby, was made. He tweeted about it, two minutes later he had a short blog post about it, and then he was off and promoting the smear – claiming that this was done by Brett Kimberlin or an ‘associate’ – an un-subtle way of saying ‘Neal Rauhauser’.
If I were investigating this, which I am, I would be focused on Hynes Communications in general and James Richardson in particular. This company, now Romney’s online rapid response vendor, seems a very likely candidate as the architect behind what has been directed at Kimberlin. Specifically:
• James Richardson is a Hynes Communications staffer
• James Richardson is a former contributor to Red State, Erickson is founder
• GA Senator Saxby Chambliss has been pushing for investigation into swatting
• Richardson and Brandon Howell run GeorgeTipsheet.com
• GeorgiaTipsheet.com has a Capitol Hill source -Dome Confidential
• We’re working on the assumption Dome Confidential = Chambliss staffer
• O’Keefe was funded by American For Prosperity
• Darby and perhaps Stranahan were funded by Americans For Prosperity
• O’Keefe money/front man is Erick O’Keefe of Sam Adams Alliance
• Emily Zanotti is a Hynes Communications staffer
• Emily Zanotti was formerly the online strategy person for Sam Adams Alliance
There are plenty of non-trivial business, personal, and financial links between a small group of people.
They’ve got a history of criminality involving complex deception.
Aaron Walker, Manassas Virginia, June 25th
Walker was outed as the operator of the Islamophobic Everyone Draw Mohammed blog January of 2012, he was arrested for assaulting Brett Kimberlin on January 9th at a contempt hearing for Seth Allen, whom either he or Frey had been guiding to smear Kimberlin. He was arrested again for a peace order violation in June, and this triggered the massive “Everyone Blog About Brett Kimberlin” smear, publicly announced by Lee Stranahan and promoted by Ali Akbar/National Bloggers Club.
I have some information regarding connections between Hynes Communications, Romney online rapidly response, and Ali Akbar, founder of the National Bloggers Club. The public information about ties are tenuous, but the tight coordination seen between NBC and Saxby Chambliss’s office makes this all very interesting.
It should also be noted that Walker is another former contributor to Frey’s blog, also banned under mysterious circumstances.
We don’t have audio of the call but I know it did occur – I’ve spoken to the officer who responded. I am presuming we’re going to find Brandon Darby’s voice again.
So, the things you are seeing here are:
• Grimm extortion attempt reported, Weiner set up in response
• O’Keefe grand jury in New Hampshire, lots of antics because I carried documents for the AAG on the case into a hearing in New Jersey.
• Hynes Communications attempting to solve several problems at once, turning Brett Kimberlin into Bill Ayers for 2012, protecting Eric O’Keefe/Sam Adams Alliance, etc.
• Frey faces a civil suit from Nadia Naffe, witness to O’Keefe’s behavior, and I’m the one who got her the lawyer handling the case.
What happened to Stack was real from what I can see. What happened to Frey was a soft pitch from Darby, and Frey either knew before it happened, or they informed him right after the fact. Erick Erickson’s event is clear and intentional fabrication and I want to know what role James Richardson and Emily Zanotti of Hynes Communications played in it.
I am assuming that Walker’s false report call was also Darby – they have pointedly not released audio.
Given the timing, immediately after a hearing against Brett Kimberlin, this is fabricated even if they did manage to get someone other than Darby to make the call.
* * * * *
RAUHAUSER E-MAILS TO OFFICE OF REP. SANDY ADAMS
(Note: Name of a congressional staffer has been redacted.)
swatting problem we know who the source of this is
neal rauhauser Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM
To: [NAME REDACTED]@mail.house.gov
Congresswoman Adams recently led a group of 87 House offices in signing a letter regarding the hazard of “swatting”. You should take a close listen to this video.
You’ll hear the voice from the one legitimate swat call, which targeted Mike Stack in Montgomery Township, New Jersey. The call to John Patrick Frey was likely prearranged in order to cover up the first event and the call to Erick Erickson was certainly a fabrication intended to wind up public outrage and distract from the true source of this behavior.
[EMBEDDED YOUTUBE VIDEO]
The rest of the voice in the video is Brandon Darby. This man was an FBI informant from 2005 through at least 2008, and currently works with a man named Lee Stranahan they have a web site http://darbystranahan.com.
Lee Stranahan is a former contributor to John Patrick Frey’s site, http://patterico.com, but he was banned from writing there July 2nd, 2011. This was roughly a day after Frey’s own false police report event.
The details we have shared with the FBI and the local jurisdictions affected by these false reports are a bit dense for an introductory email, but the executive summary is that these men may have successfully pulled your office and 86 others into a conspiracy to obstruct justice.
I can forward you the rest of the information if you’d care to see it, I’m a D.C. area resident, and I’d be happy to meet with you and a few other staffers somewhere quiet so you can review the particulars before your boss gets drawn in any deeper. It’s best we move quickly on this a New York Times reporter has the story, and the the guy who made that video is part of a grassroots group that swings a lot of weight. It’ll break soon, Darby and Stranahan know this and they are already publicly blamestorming, having lost the support of “Brooks Bayne” in a messy online spat yesterday, and I’m sure more of the network of promoters will bail immediately when they understand what they’ve been duped into doing.
I have some other business on Capitol Hill later today I’ll just pass by your office, and if you’re available maybe we can discuss this in a quiet corner of the Longworth cafeteria.
Neal Rauhauser 2026421717
From: [NAME REACTED] Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM
To: neal rauhauser
Thank you for the information, really appreciate it and I will pass it along to the Congresswoman. Please feel free to keep us apprised of the situation and to forward information as you see fit. Thanks again.
From: neal rauhauser [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:47 AM
To: [NAME REDACTED]
Subject: swatting problem we
know who the source of this is
[Quoted text hidden]
neal rauhauser Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM
To: [NAME REDACTED],
I spoke with a lieutenant at one of the police departments in New Jersey moments ago, and he’s sent me on to a detective who’s handling the case. It’s a bit of a muddle, there were three jurisdictions involved in the response. I don’t envy your comm director it’s a messy situation if it does prove out that the whole thing is another complex fabrication from the Breitbart camp.
[Quoted text hidden]
neal rauhauser Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM
To: [NAME REDACTED],
Is there a specific contact at the Department of Justice who is working on the swatting problem? This comparison of the swat callers voice and Brandon Darby seems very clear to me.
[EMBEDDED YOUTUBE VIDEO]
We’ve already given this, along with the background, to the effected municipalities, the FBI, the New York Times, the Orlando Sentinel, and I’ve taken the liberty of passing it to the Democratic party chairs in Brevard, Orange, Seminole, and Volusia counties.
I look forward to hearing back from you with the name of a specific person at the DoJ that you’ve identified as being responsible for following up on this very serious problem.
[Quoted text hidden]
neal rauhauser Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
To: [NAME REDACTED],
Just writing to let you know that I think we have found the right FBI agent regarding the false police reports that were directed at Mike Stack, John Patrick Frey, Erick Erickson, and Aaron Walker. They have heard the audio comparison of the caller to Brandon Darby’s voice and I received a “can’t comment on current investigations” response, but the manner in which it was conveyed indicates to me that there *is* a current investigation.
I am sure we’ll all be relieved when this dangerous practice is brought to a halt, and it’s a bit of a shocking twist that it’s a highly visible conservative activist who is behind it, don’t you think?
[Quoted text hidden]
- May 17: Is Democrat Operative Neal Rauhauser an ‘Associate’ of Convicted Terrorist Brett Kimberlin? (And Why It Matters)
- May 17: Convicted Terrorist Brett Kimberlin Received $70,000 From Tides Foundation, $10,000 From Streisand, $20,000 from John Kerry’s Wife
- May 18: Who Warned Us About Brett Kimberlin?
- May 19: Domestic Terrorist Now Using ‘Lawfare’? Convicted Felon Kimberlin’s 501(c)3 Raised $1.8 Million in Six Years UPDATE: ‘Convicted of Perjury’
- May 20: Deadline Loometh, and the Raven Is Croaking Brett Kimberlin’s Name
- May 20: ‘Other Computer Savvy Activists’
- May 21: Never Doubt That God Answers Prayer
- May 22: Brett Kimberlin Saga Takes a Bizarre Turn, Forcing Me to Leave Maryland
- May 23: ‘He Has No F–king Soul’
- May 24: Lying Felon Can’t Stop Lying
- May 25: KimberlinFiles.org
- May 26: Kimberlin v. Walker Hearing Scheduled: 8:30 a.m. Tuesday in Rockville, Maryland
- May 27: Brett Kimberlin’s Heiress Aunt Helping Fund His Tax-Exempt Harassment
- May 27: ERICK ERICKSON GETS SWATTED
- May 28: Somebody Tell Nina Totenberg Her Buddy Brett Kimberlin Is Making News Again
- May 29: Matthew Vadum Talks Brett Kimberlin
- May 29: REPORT: Aaron Walker Arrested After Maryland Hearing on Kimberlin Case UPDATE: Walker Now Released
- May 31: Aaron Walker Court Hearing Confirms Kimberlin-Rauhauser Collaboration
- June 1: Radicals Justify Their Evil by Invoking Their Presumed Moral Superiority
- June 2: When Neal Rauhauser Complained About ‘Menacing’ and ‘Cyberstalking’
- June 3: The Profoundly Dishonest Brett Kimberlin
- June 3: Raw Story Disavows Ties to Kimberlin
- June 3: Inside Neal Rauhauser’s Twisted Mind
- June 4: ‘A Faint Whiff of Vigilante Hysteria’: Weinergate’s Kimberlin Connection
- June 5: Ali Akbar Says, ‘World War Three’
- June 5: Fear and Loathing on Capitol Hill: The GOP Caucus Is Decadent and Depraved
- June 6: Walker Files Appeal in Kimberlin Case; Ali Akbar Says: ‘We’re Not Stopping.’
- June 6: Sen. Saxby Chambliss Requests DOJ Investigate SWATting
- June 7: CNN Gets Scooped on Its Own Story UPDATE: ACLJ Joins the Fight!
- June 8: NATIONAL DAY OF BLOGGER SILENCE UPDATE: Remember Seth Allen
- June 8: @AceOfSpadesHQ BREAKS SILENCE: #BrettKimberlin’s Escalating Threat
- June 10: Brett Kimberlin, Neal Rauhauser, and Their Transparent Empire of Lies UPDATE: ‘Anonymous’ Connection
- June 11: Florida Rep. Sandy Adams Leads 85 House Republicans in ‘SWATting’ Letter
- June 11: #BrettKimberlin Says He Was ‘SWATted’; Why Do Maryland Cops Say Otherwise?
- June 11: HUGE! Neal Rauhauser’s Vicious Lies Exposed by Yet Another Leaked E-Mail
- June 12: ‘Team Kimberlin’ Meltdown Continues
- June 13: A High Time on the Low Road: Smears Target Brett Kimberlin’s Enemies List UPDATE: SWATting Supect ID’d?
- June 13: Time to Ask: What Did Brett Kimberlin Know and When Did He Know It?
- June 14: Patterico: ‘Certain Big Media Reporters Are Scared to Write About Kimberlin’
- June 14: ‘Real Reporter’ @NYT_JenPreston vs. Blogger @Prepostericity (Seth Allen)
- June 14: Neal Rauhauser’s Online Slander Factory
- June 15: Neal Rauhauser’s Game Plan Involving Velvet Revolution and Anonymous
- June 16: Team Kimberlin’s Busted Hustle Now Beginning to Unravel Rapidly UPDATE: Perhaps Not a Coincidence
- June 17: ‘Scrubbed’ Writings Show Kimberlin Associate Neal Rauhauser’s Obsessions
- June 18: The Kimberlin Files: Ali Akbar, the Fight for Liberty and … a Disturbing Silence
- June 19: Neal Rauhauser’s Criminal Complaint Against Blogger Greg W. Howard
- June 19: Neal Rauhauser: Internet Super-Spy!
- June 20: ‘Persona Management’ for Wackjobs: Rauhauser’s Methods of Deception
- June 21: Recording: Leader of Anti-Limbaugh Effort Brags About Obama Campaign Ties
- June 21: ‘Iowa Boy,’ ‘Stranded Wind’ and the Sadistic Personality of Neal Rauhauser
- June 22: E-Mails Expose MSNBC Host’s Involvement in #StopRush Boycott
- June 22: BREAKING: Motion Filed Seeking Federal Injunction on Behalf of Blogger
- June 23: Imani Gandy, #StopRush and Neal Rauhauser: Confirmation and Credibility
- June 23: Neal Rauhauser’s Bizarre Suspicions, and Profiling the (Hypothetical) ‘UnSub’
- June 24: The Silence of Mark Singer; Also: Kimberlin v. Walker Hearing Monday
- June 25: UPDATED: Aaron Walker Granted Emergency Order in Maryland Hearing, Calls Ruling ‘Important Victory’
- June 25: Aaron Walker SWATted?
- June 26: Conspiracy Theorist ‘Qritiq’ Conspires Against Neal Rauhauser’s Targets
- June 26: #TCOT #BrettKimberlin #SWATting Important Event 9:30 p.m. ET Tonight!
- June 27: Professor Glenn ‘Exhibit E’ Reynolds
- June 27: ‘The Gaped Crusader’: Brett Kimberlin Associate Neal Rauhauser Stalked and Taunted SWATting Victim Patrick Frey
- June 29: Convicted Perjurer Brett Kimberlin Has 8:30 a.m. Hearing in Maryland Today
- June 30: UPDATE: Lying Felon Brett Kimberlin Scores a Draw in Maryland Hearing
- July 1: ‘I Know This All Sounds Crazy, But …’
- July 2: Neal Rauhauser’s War on Women
- July 2: A Drawer Full of Sockpuppets: Another Neal Rauhauser ‘Persona’ Exposed
- July 3: Freedom Is Under Attack: Help the National Bloggers Club Fight Back
- July 12: Brett Kimberlin: ‘I Want to Be Left Alone’
- July 16: How’s Your Gaelic, Neal Rauhauser?