Posted on | November 9, 2012 | 26 Comments
This is the front end of Ali Akbar’s Hyundai Sonata:
Is this my fault? It was my idea to go to Ohio, and Ali offered to drive, despite the known fact that deer hate me. Somehow, I blame myself.
It’s like living through a weird Twilight Zone episode, scripted by a grim Calvinist. Strange and savage things keep happening to me, as if there were a curse upon me for some ancient wrong I did, or almost as if I had inherited this terrible guilt. The election? Probably my fault, really. And even though I had nothing to do with the disaster of “Project ORCA,” it weighs on my conscience now at 4 a.m.
When the dark mood is on me, it seems I’m surrounded on every side by terrible consequences of failure, with no way out and no hope. My family is worried about me and, quite frankly, I’m starting to worry about me. As miserable as I feel after this dreadful election, at least the long road trips are over, and I can stay home and sleep safely without further brutal encounters with Nature’s Revenge, terrorism on four hooves.
That’s what I need: Rest. And no more driving. Click my heels three times and say, “There’s no place like home. And hit the freaking tip jar.”
- Nov. 7: On the Encroaching Gloom: ‘We Are Permanently and Irretrievably Screwed’
- Nov. 7: Blame Bush, You Fools
- Nov. 6: ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS HQ; UPDATE: OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION; AMERICA HOPELESSLY DOOMED
- Nov. 6: ELECTION DAY UPDATES
- Nov. 6: OHIO: ROMNEY AIRPORT RALLY — LOOKING LIKE A WINNER, MITT!
- Nov. 5: OHIO: IT’S MITT’S TO WIN
- Nov. 4: OHIO OR BOSTON?
- Nov. 3: OHIO: MATH IS HARD
- Nov. 3: SCENES FROM OHIO ‘ALL-STAR’ RALLY
- Nov. 2: WEST CHESTER, OHIO: MASSIVE CROWD FOR ROMNEY-RYAN RALLY
- Nov. 2: FOUR MORE DAYS: Kid Rock Tonight in the Only County That Matters
- Nov 1: Fred Thompson Makes News With Benghazi Comments at AFP Event
- Oct. 31: BREAKING NEWS FROM OHIO: REPUBLICAN WOMEN ARE HOT
- Oct. 31: FROM OHIO: POLLS, POLLS, POLLS
- Oct. 30: FROM OHIO: GROUND GAME REPORT
- Oct. 30: Mark October 30 on Your Calendar: Democrat Panic Hits Pandemic Stage
- Oct. 29: SCENES FROM ROMNEY-RYAN RALLY
- Oct. 29: FROM OHIO: Schedule Scrambled; Obama, Romney Cancel Campaign Events
- Oct. 28: FROM OHIO: ROMNEY GAINS IN STATE POLL, NOW TIED WITH OBAMA
- Oct. 27: STORM CANCELS ROMNEY VIRGINIA EVENTS; OHIO, HERE WE COME UPDATE: BOOM! Mitt Romney Endorsed by Des Moines Register